Ukraine becomes the biggest producer of carrots in Europe
According to Fruit-Inform, in 2011, Ukraine became the biggest producer of carrots in Europe, having for the first time ever outstripped Poland, a traditional leader in carrot production, notwithstanding an increase of harvested volumes in this country. Moreover, Ukrainian farmers harvested more carrots than producers from Great Britain, the second biggest producer in Europe. In such a way, only 4 countries of the world - China, USA, Russia and Uzbekistan - produce more carrots than Ukraine.
“Having become a European leader in carrot production, Ukraine as before is not ready to export significant volumes of these vegetables due to a shortage of modern growing, storage and especially post-harvesting technologies”, Mrs. Tetiana Getman, Head of Fruit-Inform, says. “According to these circumstances, this season's prices for carrots are so low. When production volumes exceed the internal market's demand even slightly, it is impossible to sell produce and prices sharply fall. However, we have already started studying the Ukrainian carrot export possibilities and attracted attention of importers from the Middle East countries to trial shipments of Ukrainian carrots. The results of our work will be shared with all participants of the 4th International Conference “Potatoes and Vegetables of Ukraine – 2012””.
This season's wholesale prices for carrots in Ukraine are averagely 3 times lower year-on-year. And this difference will keep on growing, if significant volumes of carrots are not exported. Theoretically, Ukraine could export up to 60-80 thousand tonnes of carrots in the current season, although forecast export volumes are considerably lower.
We would remind you that the conference will take place at President Hotel, Kiev, Ukraine, February 16-17, 2012. The event is supported by Ukrainian Association of Potato Producers and Ukrainian Association of Wholesale Markets and will be attended by the biggest vegetable and potato producers, suppliers of seeds, machinery, equipment, the largest purchasers of produce and companies interested in investing in the Ukrainian vegetable and potato business. To join them, please, fill out an application form.
- 05/22/2013 10:46 Decrease in Polish vegetable production in 2012
- 05/21/2013 13:10 Sharp decrease in Ukrainian fresh produce price index over first half of May 2013
- 05/13/2013 16:07 Russia's tomato imports record high in 2012
- 05/07/2013 15:46 Organic farms: a growth area in Russia
- 04/30/2013 15:13 Ukraine: no imports of Polish carrots in 2012
- 04/29/2013 12:49 An unexpected decrease in Ukrainian fresh produce price index before holidays
- 04/24/2013 17:06 Cucumber prices decrease in Ukraine
- 04/22/2013 12:02 Further increase in Ukrainian fresh produce price index
- 04/17/2013 17:20 Ukraine starts importing Egyptian early potatoes
- 04/16/2013 15:48 Record high exports of Ukrainian carrots and beetroots in March