Ukraine: apple imports fall considerably in 2018/19
In the current season, Ukraine imported the smallest volumes of apples in the entire history of the country's independence. This is reported by EastFruit, referring to official statistics.
For the first 8 months of the season (July-February), Ukrainian wholesale companies bought only about 600 tons of apples in the foreign market. For comparison, during the same period of 2017/18, Ukrainian companies imported a little more than 2,500 tons of apples.
The main supplier was Poland, as in previous seasons. The top three suppliers also included the Netherlands and Italy.
According to EastFruit, this situation was quite expected, considering the oversupply of local apples at low prices in Ukraine. In 2018 the country harvested one of the best apple harvests in the entire history of independence - about 1.4 mln tons.
At the same time, the demand for citrus fruits and bananas has been actively growing in Ukraine. Since the beginning of the season (September-February), the country has already bought about 140,000 tons of bananas and about 265,000 tons of citrus fruits in the foreign market, a rise of 13-15% year-over-year.
- 07/24/2020 09:42 PROGNOSFRUIT 2020 Online Conference – registrations now open!
- 07/23/2020 12:15 New season apple production and exports outlook for Moldova, Serbia and Ukraine on 28 July
- 06/25/2020 09:45 PICO Company: Egypt to produce more high-quality citrus
- 06/24/2020 09:44 Ukrainian apricot campaign kicks off
- 06/15/2020 09:32 Grapes producers have bio solution against "unseen enemy"