Ukraine: apple imports fall considerably in 2018/19
In the current season, Ukraine imported the smallest volumes of apples in the entire history of the country's independence. This is reported by EastFruit, referring to official statistics.
For the first 8 months of the season (July-February), Ukrainian wholesale companies bought only about 600 tons of apples in the foreign market. For comparison, during the same period of 2017/18, Ukrainian companies imported a little more than 2,500 tons of apples.
The main supplier was Poland, as in previous seasons. The top three suppliers also included the Netherlands and Italy.
According to EastFruit, this situation was quite expected, considering the oversupply of local apples at low prices in Ukraine. In 2018 the country harvested one of the best apple harvests in the entire history of independence - about 1.4 mln tons.
At the same time, the demand for citrus fruits and bananas has been actively growing in Ukraine. Since the beginning of the season (September-February), the country has already bought about 140,000 tons of bananas and about 265,000 tons of citrus fruits in the foreign market, a rise of 13-15% year-over-year.
- 03/28/2019 15:05 Serbian exporters of apple refuse Russia in favor of EU and Middle East
- 03/19/2019 15:57 Ukraine sharply increases exports of berries and apples to France
- 03/15/2019 09:10 Shortage of high-quality apples in Russian market
- 03/13/2019 15:36 Ukrainian apple exports again reach record high
- 03/12/2019 14:46 Georgian apple export breakthrough, exports to Russia up 100 times!
- 03/12/2019 11:22 Ukrainian fruit and nut exports reach $24.8 mln in February
- 01/23/2019 15:31 Prices of Moldovan apples for export to Russia up since beginning of 2019
- 06/13/2019 14:44 Apple Business of Ukraine-2019. Registration starts!