Ukraine: cucumber prices reach record high
Cucumber prices in the Ukrainian market have reached their historic high, reports Fruit-Inform.
Fruit-Inform's daily monitoring shows an average increase of 25% in them since the beginning of this week. Now sellers offer high-quality cucumbers at UAH 50-60/kg (EUR 1.52-1.82/kg), and those of lower quality are sold at least at UAH 46/kg (EUR 1.39/kg). For comparison, a week before cucumber prices were no higher than UAH 45/kg (EUR 1.36/kg).
Traders explain this price trend by several factors. Firstly, it is linked to a growth in prices in Turkey, currently almost the only supplier of cucumbers to Ukraine. Moreover, Turkish shipments are relatively small and irregular, which also affects prices in the Ukrainian market.
Overall, current prices are 50-60% higher than in the second half of December 2016. However, sellers consider price increase to be the source of negative impact on demand. Retail chains have already minimized their purchase volumes, referring to extremely low retail sales rates. In addition, buyers more often remain unsatisfied with the quality of offered cucumbers.
- 06/22/2018 09:51 Ukraine: prices of greenhouse tomatoes down by a third since beginning of this week
- 06/11/2018 09:02 Ukraine: cucumber prices down by 40% last week
- 04/12/2018 16:53 Cucumber prices sharply down in Ukraine
- 03/23/2018 13:41 Ukraine: cucumber prices up again
- 03/23/2018 13:22 Ukrainian domestic greenhouse tomato season starts
- 03/21/2018 13:00 Cucumber prices up in Poland
- 02/08/2018 15:53 Red beet prices set new record in Ukraine
- 02/07/2018 17:14 Ukraine: white cabbage prices down due to abundant supply
- 06/21/2018 10:23 Ukrainian peach season starts with growers’ pessimistic expectations
- 06/13/2018 11:07 Ukrainian blueberry growers start their harvesting campaign