Russia to start importing strawberries from Gaza
Russia is preparing to import the first cargo of strawberries from Gaza, according to Ahmed al-Shafey, the CEO of the Gaza Agricultural Cooperative for Producing & Marketing. In the Gaza Strip, the strawberry harvest season is currently underway. The export of this fruit generates excellent revenues between December and April every year, reports FreshPlaza.
Now Russian companies have set their local marketing plans for the import of strawberries from Gaza, and the total is estimated to reach 15 tons by April 2018, worth 76,500 dollars.
Shafey added that Russian companies were ready to pay for the produce 20% more than Israeli companies. In addition to this, Gaza seeks to export other fruits and vegetables to Russia. Palestinian farmers are considering the possibility of establishing a permanent partnership with Russia to export strawberries, oranges, figs, guavas and grapes from Gaza if they can outbid Israeli companies.
Eid Siyam, the head of the crops department at Gaza’s Ministry of Agriculture, told Al-Monitor: “Strawberry crops are one of Gaza’s most important export crops. Strawberry cultivation contributes to roughly 11% of Gaza’s total workforce, as it secures at least 44,000 employment opportunities for four months of each year."
- 04/12/2018 10:50 Polish frozen blackcurrant exports valued at 17 mln euro in 2017
- 02/26/2018 10:11 Georgia to assist Uzbekistan in boosting winemaking potential
- 02/23/2018 09:42 Ukraine: revenues from fresh fruit exports increased by 37% in 2017
- 02/01/2018 13:34 Poland boosts frozen raspberry imports from Ukraine
- 01/22/2018 14:32 Mexican exporters mull Russian potential
- 06/22/2018 10:03 Moldovan cherry exports expected to exceed 10,000 tons in 2018
- 06/21/2018 10:17 Moldova enters group of top ten global exporters of apples in 2017
- 06/19/2018 10:40 Polish processors reduce purchase prices for strawberries
- 06/13/2018 14:07 Mulberries to have the highest development potential in Central Asian berry sector
- 06/13/2018 11:07 Ukrainian blueberry growers start their harvesting campaign