Ukraine: cucumber prices down by 40% last week
Ukrainian cucumber growers were forced to reduce their prices due to abundant supply in the market last week, according to Fruit-Inform. On a week-over-week basis prices have fallen by about 40%.
At the end of the past week prices of gherkins stood at least at UAH 1/kg (EUR 0.03/kg), and cucumber prices varied between UAH 3-4/kg (EUR 0.10-0.13/kg).
Market players linked negative trend in prices with several factors. In the first instance, prices were under the pressure of moderate domestic market demand and lack of exporters’ demand. Meanwhile, the supply of hothouse and field-grown cucumbers was growing. At the same time, greenhouse farms were getting ready for the end of the season and offered nonstandard produce in the majority of cases.
Thus, prices have already fallen below last year’s levels. Moreover, market players expected prices to continue to go down.
- 06/22/2018 09:51 Ukraine: prices of greenhouse tomatoes down by a third since beginning of this week
- 04/12/2018 16:53 Cucumber prices sharply down in Ukraine
- 03/23/2018 13:41 Ukraine: cucumber prices up again
- 03/23/2018 13:22 Ukrainian domestic greenhouse tomato season starts
- 03/21/2018 13:00 Cucumber prices up in Poland
- 02/08/2018 15:53 Red beet prices set new record in Ukraine
- 02/07/2018 17:14 Ukraine: white cabbage prices down due to abundant supply
- 12/28/2017 15:02 Ukraine: cucumber prices fall below last year’s levels
- 12/26/2017 17:54 Polish vegetable production up in 2017
- 06/21/2018 10:23 Ukrainian peach season starts with growers’ pessimistic expectations