Ukraine: prices of greenhouse tomatoes down by a third since beginning of this week
Ukrainian greenhouse farms are forced to reduce their tomato prices, according to Fruit-Inform, and, since the beginning of this week, they have already fallen by a third.
Now growers are shipping their tomatoes at UAH 15-18/kg (EUR 0.49-0.59/kg). For comparison, prices stood at least at UAH 23/kg (EUR 0.75/kg) at the end of the past week.
Greenhouse farms link such a sharp fall in prices with several reasons. Firstly, exporters’ demand for tomatoes is extremely low. Secondly, the supply of vegetables grown in plastic greenhouses is rather high, and their minimum prices stand at UAH 10/kg (EUR 0.33/kg).
It is worth mentioning that current prices of greenhouse tomatoes are already 18-25% lower year-over-year in Ukraine. Meanwhile, prices of tomatoes from plastic greenhouses are a third lower compared with the same period of the previous season.
- 06/11/2018 09:02 Ukraine: cucumber prices down by 40% last week
- 06/21/2018 10:23 Ukrainian peach season starts with growers’ pessimistic expectations
- 06/13/2018 11:07 Ukrainian blueberry growers start their harvesting campaign
- 06/13/2018 08:54 Polish processors start their raspberry procurement season
- 06/12/2018 11:06 Tomato growing in winter as an attractive investment segment in Tajikistan
- 06/12/2018 10:41 Strawberry prices up in Poland thanks to active demand
- 06/11/2018 13:44 Tajikistan may become a fruit and vegetable Spain