Ukraine: prices of greenhouse tomatoes down by a third since beginning of this week
Ukrainian greenhouse farms are forced to reduce their tomato prices, according to Fruit-Inform, and, since the beginning of this week, they have already fallen by a third.
Now growers are shipping their tomatoes at UAH 15-18/kg (EUR 0.49-0.59/kg). For comparison, prices stood at least at UAH 23/kg (EUR 0.75/kg) at the end of the past week.
Greenhouse farms link such a sharp fall in prices with several reasons. Firstly, exporters’ demand for tomatoes is extremely low. Secondly, the supply of vegetables grown in plastic greenhouses is rather high, and their minimum prices stand at UAH 10/kg (EUR 0.33/kg).
It is worth mentioning that current prices of greenhouse tomatoes are already 18-25% lower year-over-year in Ukraine. Meanwhile, prices of tomatoes from plastic greenhouses are a third lower compared with the same period of the previous season.
- 06/13/2019 14:44 Apple Business of Ukraine-2019. Registration starts!
- 03/27/2019 13:23 Ukraine: growing areas under the greenhouse vegetables has grown
- 03/26/2019 12:00 Ukraine has low demand for cucumbers
- 02/15/2019 12:49 Russia’s imports of Turkish vegetables up by 85% in 2018
- 02/13/2019 11:35 How will Saudi Arabia’s ban on import of Egyptian onions affect onion markets in Ukraine, Russia and EU?
- 01/29/2019 13:34 Ukrainian garlic exporters should focus on Europe, Baltics and North America