Moldovan cherry exports expected to exceed 10,000 tons in 2018
The official Moldovan customs data show about 9,300 tons of cherry exports registered in the country by June 20, 2018. Current results are rather optimistic for exporters, as within the whole year the total export volumes of Moldovan cherries amounted to just slightly lower than 10,000 tons. Thus, the 2018 cherry exports will most likely be higher year-over-year. Nevertheless, the export volumes are still far from record high 14,000 tons registered in 2015.
Meanwhile, Moldovan market analysts say that the largest part of the 2015 exports was represented by Turkish cherries. According to the official statistics, in 2015 Moldova imported about 8,500 tons of cherries from Turkey. Thus, excluding re-exports, Moldovan cherry export volumes did not exceed 5,300 tons in 2015. In the following year, the re-export volumes of cherries fell to just 300 tons.
Moldovan market operators link an expected rise in cherry exports in 2018 with significant areas under new intensive cherry orchards, which come into bearing this year. Total areas under Moldovan cherry orchards amount to more than 4,000 ha. In 2018, Moldovan cherry production is expected to reach 14,000 tons, with the largest part of them to be exported.
According to EastFruit, Russian and Belarus import up to 100% of total export volumes of Moldovan cherries. Despite relatively high prices, the Republic of Moldova does not export cherries to the EU, as Moldovan growers still are unable to offer the quality of fruits required by European buyers.
- 03/28/2019 15:05 Serbian exporters of apple refuse Russia in favor of EU and Middle East
- 03/20/2019 16:28 Ukraine: apple imports fall considerably in 2018/19
- 03/19/2019 15:57 Ukraine sharply increases exports of berries and apples to France
- 03/15/2019 09:10 Shortage of high-quality apples in Russian market
- 03/13/2019 15:36 Ukrainian apple exports again reach record high
- 03/12/2019 14:46 Georgian apple export breakthrough, exports to Russia up 100 times!
- 03/12/2019 11:22 Ukrainian fruit and nut exports reach $24.8 mln in February
- 01/23/2019 15:31 Prices of Moldovan apples for export to Russia up since beginning of 2019
- 06/13/2019 14:44 Apple Business of Ukraine-2019. Registration starts!